Thursday, November 19, 2009

Charlie Parker's

We first heard of Charlie Parker's on Diner's, Drive-ins and Dives.
My husband was in Springfield, Illinois one day for work and called me around lunch time to ask if I could direct him to the place so he could check it out.
He's been a regular ever since.
I had a chance to visit Charlie Parker's myself last month and found the 50s-themed restaurant, located inside a former WWII airplane hanger Quonset hut, bustling on a late Saturday morning.
There is counter seating, booths along the wall, and we ended up at a table in the middle of the room, one of the last two open.
Since it was Saturday and since they serve breakfast all day I had breakfast, but my husband's standard fare at Charlie's is the Springfield classic, a horseshoe. The pork tenderloin shoe topped with tater tots, I believe.
Everything we ordered was very good, and though the corned beef hash is not the same as you find at most places (this version is homemade), it was great.
If you like extreme food, you can go for the challenge of finishing a four stack of their giant pancakes. If you do, the cost of your four flapjacks will be on the house.
Charlie Parker's is open seven days a week but is not open for dinner, offers daily specials, and gets even more kudos from me for having a bike rack on site.
If you're looking for comfort food in a unique building, Charlie's should be on your list.

Charlie Parker's
700 North Street
Springfield, IL 62704

No comments: